Dstat is a handy utility for monitoring systems during performance tuning tests, benchmarks or troubleshooting. It combines vmstat, iostat, ifstat, netstat information and more.
Dstat overcomes some of their limitations and adds some extra features, more counters and flexibility. One more great feature of Dstat is that it is written in python, modular & easy to extend, add your own counters as plugins. It also allows to export CSV output, which can be imported in Gnumeric and Excel to make graphs.
- Combines vmstat, iostat, ifstat, netstat information and more
- Shows stats in exactly the same timeframe
- Enable/order counters as they make most sense during analysis/troubleshooting
- Modular design
- Written in python so easily extendable for the task at hand
- Easy to extend, add your own counters (please contribute those)
- Includes about 10 external plugins to show how easy it is to add counters
- Can summarize grouped block/network devices and give total numbers
- Can show interrupts per device
- Very accurate timeframes, no timeshifts when system is stressed
- Shows exact units and limits conversion mistakes
- Indicate different units with different colors
- Show intermediate results when delay > 1